Monday, October 10, 2005

"winter?"

Oh Yummmm!!! This morning I woke to a light breeze coming in from the window in my room and the smell of rain... I cant possibly tell you all of the things that this reminds me of, but some of them have to do with New York. There's a "snap" in the air-- (finally) just as we used to get when I lived up in yankeeville. I loved it. Over the course of being up north for 5 years I learned the exact moment the seasons would change. It was more obvious up there. You knew when the seasons were changing-- trees would bloom or change colors, a foot of snow would mysteriously show up on the ground (my first winter there! Ugh!) Was fun- but cold as hell at the same time! Dragging my flight bag down a snowy sidewalk in the dead of winter didn't turn out to be as fun as I had envisioned it -- but running off to a flight in bermuda sure was! 1st rule of a flight attendant-- pack for all seasons! 1 pr of shorts, 1 t shirt, 1 pair of pants, 1 bikini, 1 cute slinky dress, one shawl, one beret (for Paris of course!--you could always get diverted! :)) I look back now and I see it as much more fun that it actually was. Of course-- this life-- my life, was before 9/11-- it was a more innocent time, in a more innocent Big Apple. Houston has a more subtle way of warning me that the seasons are changing. Better for my Southern bones. Winter (usually) gently blows in over the course of a few days, and stays cool but not chilling, "hot chocolate" cold for a while. It gives you time to adjust-it kills mosquito's! (yeah!) More kids are outside (because its not hot as blazes!) and then Halloween knocks at our door. I guess I love winter in each of the places I've experienced it-- but I love winter more in the South. It gives me time to adjust, it "persuades" me to spend more time outside, it makes life in the hot south, more livable.

No comments: