Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Just too Southern Cornbread

Okay- I know-- its freaking 90 degrees outside (STILL!!! for GODS SAKE!) but I decided that I was going to put my pumpkins out today and decorate for Halloween! With that-- comes a BIG pot of beef stew and CORNBREAD.. Hellooooo!!! Did I say its 90 degrees outside???!!! Anyhow-- I think I'll make this one- and I'll keep you posted on how good it is. Onion Cornbread From Diana Rattray,Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine. Prep Time : Cook Time : 30min INGREDIENTS: 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion 2 tablespoons butter 1 package corn muffin mix or cornbread mix (Jiffy or similar) eggs, liquid, etc, according to muffin directions 1/2 cup sour cream 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar or American cheese PREPARATION: In a skillet over medium-low heat, melt butter; cook onion until tender, but do not brown. In a mixing bowl, prepare mix according to package directions. Pour into a greased 8-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with the cooked onion. Combine sour cream and shredded cheese; spoon over the batter. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until done.

No comments: