Monday, September 11, 2006

A binkie each night helps ALL of us sleep tight

(THIS PIC IS NOT MY KID BTW-)

Horror of all horrors-- We (aka:Royal We- which is really "I") took away the binkies yesterday. We have been w/o them for approximately 22 hours now- and during waking/play hours things are good- but bed time is another story! Let me back up a little- a few months ago- we decided that our 2 year old twins needed to ONLY have the binks in the nursery- and we held pretty tight to that rule- unless we were on a long car ride where they might "need" them to get to sleep- they pretty much didn't come downstairs unless they were snuck in a pocket and pulled out on the sly while we weren't watching. So- yesterday- after the kids got out of bed and came downstairs- I got this wild idea that we would tell them that "Jiffy had them" and since he is a baby bunny- he "NEEDS" them. I went on to explain to two very perplexed toddlers that at nap time we would not have the binkies anymore and that they had been "sent to Nana and PAPA's farm to be put in Jiffy's cage". They seemed okay with that and only asked briefly where they were. When we laid them down for nap time- I went all over the house, in the cars and in their bags to collect the binks and put them in an undisclosed place. I didn't think that I would cave- but I knew that B might- so I didn't want him to be able to find them! My plan was falling into place seamlessly- but I hadn't "planned" on the fallout that ensued! At naptime- we all marched up the stairs as usual and that's when the kicking and screaming and running and opening all the drawers in the nursery began- there was explaining and re-explaining and letting them know that they were "big girls and boys now- and they didn't really need them"- this explanation happened at least 4 times. Needless to say- there was NO nap. :( This all took about 3 hours- Several times I wanted so badly to just give in to Bryce- (because Brooke acted as if she could care less if she had one or not-although she did use this as an opportunity to get out of bed and run in circles as Bryce cried.) but I knew if I handed it over to him- he would know I was a liar- and my elaborately schemed plan wasn't really true. Hang with me-parents of older kids- this is my first attempt at parental sneekyness! Furthermore, I knew it might spark other tantrums for other objects that Bryce might want really badly in the future. So- I held firm. After we got them up from their non-existent "nap" we all went outside- and did a little gardening and they rode their bikes around the driveway- and after about an hour- Bryce layed down on the concrete and said- "I tired-sleepy!" So- I decided to take them up about 6:00 -- and start the process of getting them in bed- early. Bad idea. It just ended up being 3 hours of them (Him) screaming for binkies instead of the regular one hour bath-PJ and book reading extravaganza that bedtime usually is. (Note to self-don't prolong agony- keep it simple stupid!) So- now "We" have TWO over-tired two year olds on our hands-- and its only 8pm! God help us! Then (drum roll please)- the door slamming started- and after several attempts at getting them back in bed- the frustration set in. Bryce was NOT going to go to bed w/o his "bink"- and about 1:30am B started asking if we were doing the right thing-- "yes" I muttered... He just looked at me and blinked- like I was cutting off their arms or something! ugh! I realize they are our babies- but they REALLY are toddlers-- 2.5 now and ready to be potty trained and move past needing oral fixations to get to sleep. (Although B is almost 40-- and ...well- never mind... ) How does this happen to me? It seems simple enough. The doc says "they cant have the binks- take em away- and don't give in. "-- Now execute-- EXECUTE--EXECUTE!!! With that-it's way past nap time here and I feel like getting my silky- and laying down for a good thumb sucking... :) Some things never change.

No comments: